Sunday 1 April 2012

You're only limited by your own imagination

A quote today from Natalie Pinkham, and it really has inspired me.

The 29th of March was just a regular Thursday, apart from the fact I spent it at the Williams F1 factory, down in the Grove, Oxfordshire.

As soon as you walk into the conference centre, you are immediately hit with history and heritage of the team.
I was there as a guest of Ingenie. They are a car insurance company for 17-25 year olds and ran a competition via twitter. I was lucky enough to be one of the 10 winners.
Walking through the corridors you are surrounded by photos of past Williams drivers, and moments from history.
Stepping into the conference room where we were based for the day, I was immediately greeted by Natalie Pinkham. She is an ambassador for Ingenie. She introduced herself and asked who I was, where I was from, etc. Such a genuine person, so lovely, who, throughout the entire day spent time to talk to every single competition winner. She was truly wonderful and a pleasure to talk to.

The CEO of Ingenie opened the day activities with a speech congratulating us and giving us a little bit more detail of who Ingenie are and their intentions. Then we got underway.
Firstly we were split into 2 groups. The first group went down to see the Williams' Grand Prix collection and the second group went straight onto the F1 simulator.
I was in the first group and got to dive straight into the history of Williams in their Grand Prix collection.

My one and only word to describe the collection is 'WOW' it's mind blowing.



You are literally walking through history, with videos showing moments in Williams' Formula 1 life that has established them as such an iconic team. I had so many emotions when walking through the collection. I was overwhelmed being there. Knowing that only a select few have been there to witness this collection in real life. Being surrounded by a collection worth over £50 million. Just WOW!
I was also a little emotional. Being able to touch the car that Ayrton Senna drove, before he was sadly taken from us.
I just couldn't believe I was in the presence of all these championship winning cars, that are a legendary piece in the history of Formula 1.

After the Grand Prix collection it was simulator time. Once in a lifetime experience.
Beforehand, Adam Parr came in to say hello.


The last ever picture you shall see of Adam Parr in a Williams shirt and you have my lovely self in as 
well.

The simulator was just incredible. I always say when I'm watching Formula 1 "How hard can it be?"
I can give a first hand experience and say it's bloody hard.
The simulator was automatic gearbox and I did 6 laps. Don't know how they do 50-60+ laps. I really don't. 


As you can read. The car was driven by Jenson Button and Ralf Schumacher. Such an honour to say my bottom has been where Jenson's bottom has been. 
When it came to driving. To give a picture of how difficult it was. Driving out of the garage, I drove straight into the pit wall. 
I've done karting, and I passed my driving test first time, so I know how to drive. This is just another level of driving. If I had the chance to have a few more laps I would've mastered it and been a pro.
6 laps just wasn't enough. I did make it into the Top 10 though. Quite a few seconds off the pace but we don't need to mention that.


Natalie Pinkham finished in 8th with myself only half a second behind her. 


My photo of the day. On the Williams F1 simulator with Natalie Pinkham right beside. 
It was just an amazing day that I shall cherish with me forever. It's my third F1 factory I've been lucky enough to see and by far the best. 

I could just go on and on....... Just. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment