Friday 27 January 2017

A Sad Fairwell

Today it was announced that the Manor F1 team is to close after the team went into administration and a buyer couldn't be found.
Staff members had been sent home from the factory in Banbury with a handful set to be made redundant on Tuesday. 


This is a sad and emotional day, not only for the 212 members of staff who have been on a roller coaster of a journey since the team began in 2010, but for myself included. 

I would consider myself an honorary team member since 2012 when I was fortunate to be invited to join the team at a pre-season event. The meeting point was the first test in Barcelona where I met Head of Communications Tracy Novak who showed me the ropes and gave me my very first behind the scenes insight into a Formula 1 team. 

That same year saw me become the teams first ever Social Media Driver. Getting to cover an iconic event on the British sporting calendar, the British Grand Prix. Being in the hustle and bustle of the garage and paddock during Qualifying was an experience like no other. The great British summer weather couldn't play havoc on the spirit of the crowds. A halt to qualifying due to rain involved the teams lining up and encouraging fans in the stands to Mexican wave kept us occupied until we got underway again.

Standing outside the media pen, seeing driver after driver, World Champion after World Champion walk past you is a sight I'll never forget and all down to the wonderful team at Manor F1.




As you all may know my goal and ambition has been to work within Formula 1 in Marketing or PR and whenever given the opportunity, I've attended as many events as possible to ask personnel for advise on how to reach this.

Virgin Racing, Marussia Virgin Racing, Marussia F1, Manor F1, whatever their name change has been they have never once not offered me advise and one member of the team, Tracy Novak has always been on hand to take time out of her incredibly busy schedule to talk, whether it be a quick 'Hi' or a catch up on everything. I know I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for the help and advise she has given me. She gave me the confidence to never give up on my goal. 

The team has been through a lot in it's seven season's in Formula 1, the most notable one being the sad passing of driver Jules Bianchi. This was an absolutely devastating and heartbreaking moment not only for the team but for Formula 1.
The team had already been through so much, with the passing of Maria de Villota and being threatened with having to pull out of the sport due to financial difficulties.
The team's high being Jules Bianchi achieving the teams first point in Formula 1. It was a tragic, tragic loss to lose such a rising star in the sport.

An embrace never to be forgotten

My thoughts go out to everyone involved in the team. All past and present employees have worked incredibly hard to keep the team afloat in Formula 1. They may have been a small team but have made a big impact on the sport and will be remembered by many. 

I'd like to thank the team and especially Tracy for everything she has done over the years for me. I would not be where I am today if it wasn't for her guidance and advise. I will forever be grateful for the experiences I've had. 



No comments:

Post a Comment