Tuesday 14 February 2012

Ditch the V card

Losing your virginity is suppose to be a special moment in your life. A magical moment. Enough with the cliché rubbish. Silverstone took mine, and my god it was a magical time.
The 9th, 10th, 11th July 2010 was to date the best weekend of my, at the time, 17 year long lived years.

I should probably start off with how I got the general admission tickets to the 2010 British Grand Prix before I go on to anything else. If I said I got them from the 2009 World Drivers Champion Jenson Button, you'd probably say "Yeah right. As if she got them off Jenson Button. Good one". Well I am going to say I got them off Jenson Button, because I did.
I attended the 2010 Autosport International Show at the NEC in the January where Jenson Button was a special guest, as he had just won the championship after his 'fairytale season'.
On the F1 racing magazine main stage he was doing a couple of question and answer sessions during the day. After I came out from seeing the live action show, I was lucky enough to catch the end of his first Q&A with @henryhopefrost who is the presenter on the main stage.
Some people had already asked Jenson question's and it was time for his final question. To get Jenson's attention I began jumping up and down 'wooping'. With my loud mouth I have, it worked and I was lucky enough to get to ask Mr Button a question. (It helped I was in the rocket red McLaren shirt too, but we won't mention that)
My question to Jenson was "To what extent do you think Formula 1 is a sport in the 21st century." Smart question. I know. Not normally like that. At the time I was doing a project for part of my A-levels and this was my question and what better way to get it answered then by the World Champion at the time.
His first response to the question was "Do you think I'm fit?" Not sure if we was coming on to me or wanted me to answer the question. I obviously pulled but didn't want to make it look too obvious to everyone so just brushed past that question.
After he answered my question, @henryhopefrost said to Jenson for him to pick 2 people to give tickets to the British Grand Prix. He first pointed to the opposite side to where I was to someone, who had decided to leave. (No idea why?) GUTTED!
 He then turned back to me and asked me if I wanted to go to the British Grand Prix. My answer was of course yes. I broke down in tears. As you do. And that's how I got tickets to the 2010 British Grand Prix

I remember waking up at 4am on the Friday morning of the British Grand Prix weekend to get ready to rock and roll. I've never been so alert and awake to get out of bed at the early time. It's as if my body knew what day it was.
Shorts, t-shirt and sun cream was at the ready. Surprisingly, it was going to be a beautiful summer's day. Shocking! I know! Was out the house by 5am so I would arrive before the gates opened at 6am. Lucky for me I only live about 45-50 minutes drive away from Silverstone.
I wasn't hardcore enough to camp. Tents and going to the toilet in a hole you've dug yourself isn't my idea of fun. Driving back and fourth each day was more appealing to me. I did however arrive in style in a BMW M6 that my dad had from one of his friends. Racing down the M1 doing over 150MPH. Got me into the Formula 1 spirt.
Wait I mean we only hit 70 because that's the legal limit and breaking that is naughty...

The gates opened at 6am and I rushed in. Power walking to the grand stand on the main pit straight at the time before the Silverstone Wing showed itself to the F1 world. I wanted to make sure I got a good seat for practice. I got a great seat but it came at a price. Little tip for you all. Don't power walk somewhere with new trainers on. Blisters do occur. I've still got blood stains on the back of my trainers that I wore that weekend, because you all wanted to know that.

In a few hours time my weekend was about to get a whole lot better.

As I had never experience anything like being at a Formula 1 circuit for a Grand Prix before, I was in total ore of my surroundings. Just the fact I could see a slight glimpse of the Formula 1 cars in their garages.
Ferrari had got to work early that morning and seeing them working on the car was just incredible. I had to pinch myself so I knew that this was all real and not a dream.
Silverstone Radio came out of the speakers surrounding the grandstands at 8am when all systems were a go. They were hosting a competition to win 2 passes to the drivers' autograph session after Qualifying on the Saturday. The question was "If Adrian Sutil wasn't a Formula 1 driver what would he be?" And before you ask. No the answer wasn't a convict, or a boxer.
My father and I got our trusty iPhones out and got googling. What kept popping up was piano player. So we rang in. Engaged. Engaged. Engaged. Redial. Redial. Redial. Eventually, after 72 times. No joke. I got through. Piano player wasn't the right answer.
Google is clearly a liar then and wasn't my friend that day.
Luckily my mother was at home that day and she got onto the internet and was researching and she came across that he wanted to be a stunt driver. Father then decided he'd give it a go and ring in. He got through and BOOM! Right answer. Hello 2 passes to the drivers' autograph session after qualifying. That was clearly my lucky year. About time as well. Actually couldn't believe it.


Here we are. Sebastian Vettel and I at the autograph session. Ignore my sunburnt face. It was extremely hot that day and yes I did keep applying sun cream. I just have very sensitive skin. Can't help it.
Casual conversation with Sebastian Vettel as you do. I did also tell him I couldn't wait to see him on the top step of the podium on race day. I clearly jinxed him because he got a puncture on the first lap and finished 7th. 
Sorry Seb!
Amazing how at the time he was a just a Grand Prix winner and then he went off to win the World Championship that year. I was his good luck charm for that. Don't hate ;)
Only driver I didn't meet was Mark Webber. He had a bit of a mard on him that day as they changed his front wing and gave it to Seb. I didn't know this at the time so did bad mouth him a bit for not staying long to sign autographs. He didn't hear so all is good. 

ALONSO SMILING. I REPEAT. ALONSO SMILING. 
This is the money shot of the session. Can't believe I have this. This is a keeper.

Lewis before the earrings and funny shaped facial hair.
Cheers for the cheeky smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment